Prince Ephrim, the Immolator, is a human with the power to control fire living in post-Erasure Hieron. He is one of the Eternal Princes of the Creed of Samothes, a group of high-ranking followers who are outside of the typical hierarchy, who act as faces for the church and spread its word.
|“||If there was an encyclopedia in Hieron with the word 'prince', his picture would be next to it.||”|
Ephrim is an exceedingly pretty boy in his mid-twenties with smoldering eyes, perfect skin, imperious bearing, and a crackling voice. He always has some mark of Samothes on his outfit. Though he first shows up during Winter in Hieron, his connection to and power over flame means that he does not require the same sort of heavy, cold-weather clothing that most others would.
Ephrim carries a glowing crescent blade strapped inside a steel case at his side.
Before leaving Rosemerrow for the New Archives, Ephrim buys some ornate leather armor with markings of Samothes on it and fox fur around the collar. He also wears a cloak, which he tears a piece off of to bandage Jeremy's arm.
Ephrim is flamboyant, confident, and carries himself with a condescending intensity. He is surprisingly prone to nostalgia, looking back with fondness on places and things from his youth.
Ephrim's alignment is Chaotic. To receive experience, he must "Spread a dangerous new idea: I am the only thing that can stop the coming winter
and should be worshiped for it."
- The sun has been more reliable these past few days than Lem has.
- Fero doesn't think before he acts, but I trust his instincts.
Ephrim spent much of his youth in eastern Hieron, rarely staying in one place for long. For much of his life, Baron's Gate was the farthest west he had ever been, and he felt affection for its role as a constant in his life. Unlike the settlements to the east, which always seemed to be changing, Baron's Gate was always similar to the last time he had seen it.
After Exarch Alyosha left Rosemerrow for Velas to lead the church there following the death of Prelate Lucius, Ephrim arrived in Rosemerrow to lead missionary work in his stead, and was remarkably successful in spreading the faith within the city, in no small part due to the value of his powers in a land struck by a sudden and unprecedented winter. He took part in the Mountain Party's museum heist looking for an artifact of Samothes which he believed would help him end the winter.
Ephrim took a glowing crescent blade from the meeting house below the Old Museum, and after emerging into a land stricken by a perpetual eclipse, believes there is something he can do with it to bring the sun back to Hieron.
Samothes has gifted Ephrim with power over flame.
- Burning Brand: Ephrim can conjure a weapon of pure flame, which takes a form of his choosing.
- Fighting Fire with Fire: When Ephrim takes damage equal to an odd number, he can reduce the damage, add charges to his burning brand, or take points forward to summoning a new brand.
- Give Me Fuel, Give Me Fire: By gazing intently into someone's eyes, he may ask them "What fuels the flames of your desire?" and they must answer truthfully.
- Zuko Style: He may bend flames to his will.
- Hand Crafted: Ephrim may use his hands in place of tools and fire to craft or destroy metal objects. He has great difficulty working with Ordennan steel.
- Lore of Flame: Ephrim may stare into a source of fire searching for answers.
- Firebrand: He may introduce a new idea to an NPC and, if successful, they will believe it to be their own and take to it with fervor.
- Moth to the Flame: Ephrim may tempt a weak mind with his inner fire, causing them to follow him and do as he desires. As he does so, he has a greater air of confidence than normal and his eyes take on the same color as the flame he wields; not glowing, but with a faint captivating quality.
|Fantasmo · Fero · Hadrian · Hella · Lem · Throndir · Aubrey · Castille · Hitchcock · Sige · Adaire · Ephrim|